Social Media Usage Statistics [INFOGRAPH]
For more up to date statistics, check out Social Media Active Users By Network.
I am often aproached by business and website owners and asked whether or not they should even consider a social media marketing campaign. They often think that social media doesn't apply to their business or industry. One of most compelling motivators should be the sheer number of users on social networks that can potentially hear your message. If you're not sure exactly how to use a social network, that's something that we can work on and improve, but the bottom line is that every business and entrepreneur can benefit from social media marketing.
The infographic (posted below) was recently published by OnlineMBA.com that includes statistical information on Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Reddit and Digg.
Social Media Usage Statistics for 2012 Infographic Summary:
- Facebook has 845 million active users.
- The average Facebook user has 130 friends.
- The average Facebook visit lasts 23 minutes.
- 46% of Facebook users are over the age of 45.
- 57% of Facebook users are female (43% male).
- 57% of Facebook users report having been to “some college” (24% bachelors or graduate degree).
- 47% of Facebook users report making between $50,000 – $99,000 annually (33% between $25,000 – $49,999).
- Titter has 127 million active users.
- 13% of internet users also use Twitter.
- 54% of Twitter users use Twitter on their mobile devices.
- 36% of Twitter users tweet at least once a day.
- The average visit on Twitter lasts for 14 minutes.
- 59% of Twitter users are female (41% male).
- Google+ has had 90 million unique visitors.
- Google+ users are 71% male.
- The most common occupation of a Google+ user is an engineer.
- 44% of Google+ users are “single”.
- Pinterest has had 21 million unique visits.
- The top locations for Pinterest users are Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky and Tennessee.
- The top interests of Pinterest users are crafts, hobbies, interior design and fashion.
- 82% of Pinterest users are female (18% male).
- The average Pinterest visit lasts 17 minutes.
- LinkedIn has 150 million registered users.
- 75% of LinkedIn users use it for business purposes.
- There are 2 million companies on LinkedIn.
- 50% of LinkedIn users have a bachelors or graduate degree.
Are you convinced? With millions of active users, and the ability to reach those users at very reasonable costs, every business should be leveraging social media to market their products and services.
Internet Cafe image by Mike Licht.
DISCLOSURE: Many of the links in the article above, and throughout this site, are affiliate links. While there's no additional cost to you, any purchases made via those links may earn me a commission. Rest assured, only products and services which have been rigorously tried and tested are reviewed, and those reviews are always thorough and honest. If you benefited from my review and have a genuine interest in the linked product, your use of the affiliate link is appreciated and allows me to continue writing these kinds of helpful articles. Current examples include Tailwind, AgoraPulse, Post Planner, PromoRepublic and Freshbooks. Please also note that I am employed by SiteSell as their Chief Marketing Officer and am fully authorized to share product and company information from extensive personal experience.
By Mike Allton, Content Marketing Practitioner
Mike is a Content Marketing Practitioner, award-winning Blogger and Author in St. Louis, and the Chief Marketing Officer at SiteSell. He has been working with websites and the Internet since the early '90's, and is active on all of the major social networks. Mike teaches a holistic approach to content marketing that leverages blog content, social media and SEO to drive traffic, generate leads, and convert those leads into sales.
Mike is the author of, "The Unofficial Book On HootSuite: The #1 Tool for Social Media Management", "The Ultimate Guide to the Perfect LinkedIn Profile.", and "Blog Promotionology, The Art & Science of Blog Promotion."Follow @Mike_Allton