Six Secrets of Contagious Content [infograph]
Content Marketing is not just about creating content. The content that we create must educate, entertain and engage our readers in order for it to have value and be effective. The best content invokes emotional triggers which not only interest the reader, but compel them to share the content as well. While we don't want to play on people's emotions, it's important as marketers and business owners that we understand the how and the why behind what people share. This infograph from whoishostingthis.com explains exactly that.
- People may share emotionally charged content to make sense of their experiences, reduce dissonance, or deepen social connections.
- More practically useful, interesting and surprising content is more viral because it reflects positively on the people sharing it.
- Interest and its interaction with other emotions influences all other mental processes. That is why titles are so massively important.
- Visual, easy-to-understand and consume content is generally the most viral because it communicates its strong emotional impact within the first few seconds of viewing.
- Give your audience a way to look good, feel special, or like an insider, and they'll tell others - and spread the word about you along the way.
- Triggers have a big impact on human behavior.
- People are more likely to share some content over others because the emotion evokes us to pass it on.
- People will talk about a product or band if it's part of a broader narrative.
If you're not getting much engagement from your blog posts and social media shares, these points may touch on some of the reasons why. Consider how you can bring more emotional interest to your writing, and if you would like help with your blogging and content marketing strategy, please contact me.
DISCLOSURE: Many of the links in the article above, and throughout this site, are affiliate links. While there's no additional cost to you, any purchases made via those links may earn me a commission. Rest assured, only products and services which have been rigorously tried and tested are reviewed, and those reviews are always thorough and honest. If you benefited from my review and have a genuine interest in the linked product, your use of the affiliate link is appreciated and allows me to continue writing these kinds of helpful articles. Current examples include Tailwind, AgoraPulse, Post Planner, PromoRepublic and Freshbooks. Please also note that I am employed by SiteSell as their Chief Marketing Officer and am fully authorized to share product and company information from extensive personal experience.
By Mike Allton, Content Marketing Practitioner
Mike is a Content Marketing Practitioner, award-winning Blogger and Author in St. Louis, and the Chief Marketing Officer at SiteSell. He has been working with websites and the Internet since the early '90's, and is active on all of the major social networks. Mike teaches a holistic approach to content marketing that leverages blog content, social media and SEO to drive traffic, generate leads, and convert those leads into sales.
Mike is the author of, "The Unofficial Book On HootSuite: The #1 Tool for Social Media Management", "The Ultimate Guide to the Perfect LinkedIn Profile.", and "Blog Promotionology, The Art & Science of Blog Promotion."Follow @Mike_Allton
JOIN THE SOCIAL MEDIA HAT COMMUNITY
Love to read and learn? Join the thousands of bloggers, businesses and marketers who have benefited from Mike's lengthy posts. ;) Have the latest articles and resources emailed to you, plus exclusive content and insider tips!