Blogging Checklist [INFOGRAPHIC]
This infographic provides a great overview of the thought processes and steps every blogger should take when creating a new post, including:
- Know Your Business Goals
- Know Your Audience
- Plan Your Content Strategy
- Design & Usability
- Content & Readability
- Search Engine Optimization
- Encourage Engagement
- After You Post
Infographic created by http://www.thewholebraingroup.com.
Sensible Blogging Checklist
Everything you need to know about creating a successful blog for business.
By The Whole Brain Group
Know Your Business Goals
What are your objectives for the blog?
- Inform your readers about your business mission & values
- Educate consumers about your products & services
- Establish yourself as an expert in your industry
Know Your Audience
Who are you hoping to reach?
Age Range: ___________________
Gender: ___ % men ___ % women
Income Level: ________________
Education Level: ______________
Type of Industry: _____________
# of Employees: ______________
Type of Business: _____________
Location (local/national): _______
Top problems they are trying to solve or pains they have:
What now? Use this information to develop an ideal audience persona and to tailor the content of your posts.
Plan Your Content Strategy
Have you chosen content that serves both your business goals AND your audience?
Pick 5 topic categories to focus your blog posts.
Create a new blog post with original content ___ x times a week / month
Develop relationships with bloggers in your industry and ask them to write guest blog posts
Create a new blog post with repurposed content ___ x times a week / month
- Videos, infographics, pictures, etc.
- Add your own spin
- Give them credit with a backlink
- Give them credit on social media
Design & Usability
Make sure your blog is user-friendly
___ ___ People can subscribe to my blog
___ ___ Users can navigate to previous blog posts
___ ___ My blog is easily accessible from my home page
___ ___ My blog has a search function
___ ___ Users can easily share my post on social media sites
Content & Readability
- Blog post is under 350 words (Editor's Note: we advise using different lengths for different purposes.)
- The post is introduced with a catchy title
- Bullet points are used to break up large sections
- There is at least one image, a descriptive picture, or eye-catching graphic to encourage people to click on the link
Search Engine Optimization
- The post focuses on one or two keywords or phrases
- Keywords also appear in the blog post title
- The post is tagged with the chosen keywords
- The meta description includes detailed or expressive text that encourages clicks
- Headings and subheadings appear in the blog post and also feature keywords
- Keywords are in the alt text of any images or graphics
- There are links within the post to other relevant pages or blog posts on your website
- A Call to Action appears at the end of your post
- Seek participation by asking for comments, questions, or feedback
- Ask others to share the post on social media
After You Post
___ You have asked other bloggers to mention your post
___ Post is shared on social media sites:
___ Submit to social bookmarking sites:
For a complete checklist on how to prepare and promote blog posts, see:
What do you think? Any blogging requirements missing?
By Mike Allton, Content Marketing Practitioner
Mike is a Content Marketing Practitioner, award-winning Blogger and Author in St. Louis, and the Chief Marketing Officer at SiteSell. He has been working with websites and the Internet since the early '90's, and is active on all of the major social networks. Mike teaches a holistic approach to content marketing that leverages blog content, social media and SEO to drive traffic, generate leads, and convert those leads into sales.
Mike is the author of, "The Unofficial Book On HootSuite: The #1 Tool for Social Media Management", "The Ultimate Guide to the Perfect LinkedIn Profile.", and "Blog Promotionology, The Art & Science of Blog Promotion."Follow @Mike_Allton
JOIN THE SOCIAL MEDIA HAT COMMUNITY
Love to read and learn? Join the thousands of bloggers, businesses and marketers who have benefited from Mike's lengthy posts. ;) Have the latest articles and resources emailed to you, plus exclusive content and insider tips!