Blogging Checklist [INFOGRAPHIC]
This infographic provides a great overview of the thought processes and steps every blogger should take when creating a new post, including:
- Know Your Business Goals
- Know Your Audience
- Plan Your Content Strategy
- Design & Usability
- Content & Readability
- Search Engine Optimization
- Encourage Engagement
- After You Post
Infographic created by http://www.thewholebraingroup.com.
Sensible Blogging Checklist
Everything you need to know about creating a successful blog for business.
By The Whole Brain Group
Know Your Business Goals
What are your objectives for the blog?
- Inform your readers about your business mission & values
- Educate consumers about your products & services
- Establish yourself as an expert in your industry
Know Your Audience
Who are you hoping to reach?
Age Range: ___________________
Gender: ___ % men ___ % women
Income Level: ________________
Education Level: ______________
Type of Industry: _____________
# of Employees: ______________
Type of Business: _____________
Location (local/national): _______
Top problems they are trying to solve or pains they have:
What now? Use this information to develop an ideal audience persona and to tailor the content of your posts.
Plan Your Content Strategy
RELATED: The Ultimate Blogging Planner to help you organize your blog & blogging business.
Have you chosen content that serves both your business goals AND your audience?
Pick 5 topic categories to focus your blog posts.
Create a new blog post with original content ___ x times a week / month
Develop relationships with bloggers in your industry and ask them to write guest blog posts
Create a new blog post with repurposed content ___ x times a week / month
- Videos, infographics, pictures, etc.
- Add your own spin
- Give them credit with a backlink
- Give them credit on social media
Design & Usability
Make sure your blog is user-friendly
___ ___ People can subscribe to my blog
___ ___ Users can navigate to previous blog posts
___ ___ My blog is easily accessible from my home page
___ ___ My blog has a search function
___ ___ Users can easily share my post on social media sites
Content & Readability
- Blog post is under 350 words (Editor's Note: we advise using different lengths for different purposes.)
- The post is introduced with a catchy title
- Bullet points are used to break up large sections
- There is at least one image, a descriptive picture, or eye-catching graphic to encourage people to click on the link
Search Engine Optimization
- The post focuses on one or two keywords or phrases
- Keywords also appear in the blog post title
- The post is tagged with the chosen keywords
- The meta description includes detailed or expressive text that encourages clicks
- Headings and subheadings appear in the blog post and also feature keywords
- Keywords are in the alt text of any images or graphics
- There are links within the post to other relevant pages or blog posts on your website
- A Call to Action appears at the end of your post
- Seek participation by asking for comments, questions, or feedback
- Ask others to share the post on social media
After You Post
___ You have asked other bloggers to mention your post
___ Post is shared on social media sites:
___ Submit to social bookmarking sites:
For a complete checklist on how to prepare and promote blog posts, see:
What do you think? Any blogging requirements missing?
DISCLOSURE: Many of the links in the article above, and throughout this site, are affiliate links. While there's no additional cost to you, any purchases made via those links may earn me a commission. Rest assured, only products and services which have been rigorously tried and tested are reviewed, and those reviews are always thorough and honest. If you benefited from my review and have a genuine interest in the linked product, your use of the affiliate link is appreciated and allows me to continue writing these kinds of helpful articles. Current examples include Agorapulse, Tailwind, Wishpond or SEMrush. Please also note that I am employed by SiteSell as their Chief Marketing Officer and am fully authorized to share product and company information from extensive personal experience.
By Mike Allton, Content Marketing Practitioner
Mike is a Content Marketing Practitioner - a title he invented to represent his holistic approach to content marketing that leverages blogging, social media, email marketing and SEO to drive traffic, generate leads, and convert those leads into sales. He is an award-winning Blogger, Speaker, and Author at The Social Media Hat, and Brand Evangelist at Agorapulse (formerly CMO at SiteSell).
As Brand Evangelist, Mike works directly with other social media educators, influencers, agencies and brands to explore and develop profitable relationships with Agorapulse.Follow @Mike_Allton